To provide you with mobile services and products (including your phone and broadband), we need to collect some of your personal details. Without this information, we may not be in a position to provide you with the products and services you want. We also collect the information to comply with relevant laws and to help us to improve the services we provide to you.
The information we collect about you depends on the Vodacom products and services you use and subscribe to. It includes (but is not limited) to:
• your name, date of birth and contact details including your physical address, email address and telephone number;
• your bank account and limited credit card details such as card number and name
• information to verify your identity such as your passports, driver’s licence or ID (or other approved government ID);
• information relating to your credit worthiness such as bank statements, or payslips);
• details of products and services we’ve supplied you or you’ve enquired about, as well as any additional information needed to deliver those products and services or respond to your enquiries;
• your preferences for particular products, services or lifestyle activities when you tell us what they are, or your preferences based on how you use our products and services;
• information about your account and your use of mobile voice and data services;
• any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence;
• information you provide to us through customer surveys.
We may also collect information about how you use our products and services such as:
• the phone numbers that you call or send messages to (or the phone numbers that you receive calls and messages from);
• the date, time and length of the calls and messages you send or receive through our network, and your general location at the time these calls and messages take place;
• the date, time and length of your internet browsing, and your general location at the time.
We may collect your personal information in a number of different situations, including when you:
• provide information to us in account application forms, service enquiry forms, or when you purchase products or services from our website;
• subscribe to services from us;
• take part in a competition, prize draw or survey;
• visit our website, Facebook page and other pages that we own and manage;
• visit external pages through our portals;
• make calls to Vodacom. These calls may be recorded for training, quality and business purposes;
• use your mobile device and this results in interactions between your mobile device and our network and other equipment. These interactions might tell us something about you, your mobile device and your usage of our services (including location-based information);
We collect personal information about you from other sources (if it’s appropriate) including:
• other companies in the Vodacom group
• credit bureaus , law enforcement agencies and other government entities;
• publicly available sources of information, like market research providers.
What are cookies?
Cookies are tiny text files that are Centred on your computer, tablet or mobile phone when you visit a website. The cookies mean that the website will remember you and how you've used the site every time you come back.
We may record aggregated customer visits to our website to let us monitor visits and keep track of our most viewed products or services
We may log IP addresses (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the website, and gather broad demographic information for security purposes.
We may use and analyse your information to:
• Carry out a credit check if you’re applying for a contract for airtime services and to assess your application.
• Keep you informed generally about new products and services
• Bill you for using our products or services, or to take the appropriate amount of credit from you
• Respond to any questions or concerns you may have about using our network, products or services
• Let you know about other companies' products and services (including offers and discounts we’ve specially negotiated for our customers) we think may interest you,
• Protect our network and manage the volume of calls, texts and other use of our network. For example, we identify peak periods of use so we can try and ensure the network can handle the volume at those times
• Understand how you use our network, products and services. That way, we can develop more interesting and relevant products and services, as well as personalising the products and services we offer you
• Carry out research and statistical analysis to monitor how customers use our network, products and services on an anonymous or personal basis
• Prevent and detect fraud or other crimes, recover debts or trace those who owe us money
• Send you other communication for service or customer delight (such as messages on your birthday).
The information we use will be your approximate location, based on the nearest mobile cell site. As a result, this will change as you move around with your mobile phone.
We’ll Centre your information for as long as we have to by law. If there’s no legal requirement, we’ll only Centre it for as long as we need it.
Direct marketing communications
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about:
• our products, services, discounts, competitions and special promotions that we consider may be of interest to you;
• offers or promotions based on how you use our products and services. These include your calling and messaging activities, location information and browsing information;
• other companies' products and services (including offers and discounts we’ve specially negotiated for our customers) we think may interest you, if you’ve chosen to receive this information.
These communications may be sent in various forms, including by telephone, post, fax and any form of electronic message (including email, SMS, MMS).
You consent to us sending you those direct marketing communications by any of those methods or through your application for services. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will try to use that method whenever practical to do so.
In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in our communications and we’ll make sure your name is taken off our mailing list.
We will however continue to send you essential information about your account, changes to your service or plan and other information required by law.
Sharing your personal information
We may share information about you with:
• Companies in the Vodacom Group Partners or agents involved in delivering the products and services you’ve ordered or used
• Credit reference, fraud prevention or business scoring agencies, or other credit scoring agencies
• Debt collection agencies or other debt recovery organisations
• Law enforcement agencies, regulatory organisations, courts or other public authorities if we have to, or are authorised / required to by law
• Emergency services (if you make an emergency call), including your approximate location
We’ll release information if it’s lawful and reasonable for the purpose of protecting us against fraud, defending our rights or property, or to protect the interests of our customers.
If we’re reorganised or sold to another organisation, we may transfer any personal information we hold about you to that organisation.
We may need to transfer your information to other group companies or service providers in countries outside Lesotho. This may happen if our servers or suppliers and service providers are based outside Lesotho, or if you use our services and products while visiting countries outside Lesotho.
We have specialised security teams who constantly review and improve our measures to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, accidental loss or destruction.
If we have a contract with another organisation to provide a service on our behalf, we’ll make sure they have appropriate security measures and only process your information in the way we’ve authorised. These organisations won’t be entitled to use your personal information for their own purposes. If necessary, our security teams will check them to make sure they meet the security requirements we’ve set.
Communications over the internet (such as emails) aren’t secure unless they’ve been encrypted. Your communications may go through a number of countries before being delivered – as this is the nature of the internet. We can’t accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that’s beyond our control.
We take all reasonable measures to make sure the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up to date. However, the accuracy of your information is largely dependent on what you provide us. To make sure we’ve got your most current and accurate details, please let us know when your information changes (e.g. if you change your name or move house).
Yes, but there may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may not grant access to information if it could interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality or breach of law. If that happens, we will give you reasons for any refusal.
If you think your personal information may be inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, you can ask that it be updated. We will update the information by amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds to amend it, we’ll add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree.
This policy may change from time to time when new types of information are collected and to include new use cases for all information.
If you believe your privacy has been compromised or have any other questions about your privacy, feel free to call our Privacy Team on 52212401 or 52212190 from your Vodacom mobile.
Our postal address is:
Vodacom Legal and Regulatory
PO Box 7387
VODACOM PARK, 585 MABILE ROAD